Happy New Year!
I’m always fascinated by the Travel Industry’s ‘hot destination’ lists… Compiled by ‘travel experts’, what role do those lists play on our mind? Do they suggest places we hadn’t thought about? Do they give us the final humph to book that trip? Do they make the places the ‘it’ places to travel to? Do they follow our booking trends? How do those lists get put together?
Anyway, true to tradition, here are Lonely Planet’s top 10 countries for 2011:
- Albania (exciting… yep, the future of traveling is definitely towards Eastern Europe)
- Brazil (hmmm… that’s more 2010 than 2011 if you ask me!)
- Cape Verde (just the name sounds like an adventure!)
- Panama (there must be more to Panama than a canal… but surprisingly, one never really hears about it. Mysterious)
- Bulgaria (not one that would come to mind instantly I’m afraid)
- Vanuatu (yes please)
- Italy (yep)
- Tanzania(I’m sure I’ll go back to Tanzania at some point… but not in 2011)
- Syria (oh tempting…)
- Japan (that would be cool)
There’s something for everyone there… A good mixture of the old and the new.
But for me… 2011 is all about Greenland. Finally.
Enjoy your travels.